Saturday, January 11, 2014

Homemade Hummus


I think it is well established that I love a good hummus plate/snack.  Of course it's easy to buy a container of it at the store but making your own is easy and cheap!  Here's how I like to do it...

Get a can of chickpeas and open it (but don't drain it!).  For a really smooth hummus recipe, remove the skin from each pea--it's really easy, just put between your fingers and squeeze a bit.  Place each pea in a food processor.  Pulse.


Add, pulsing as you go along:
One clove of garlic, chopped
1/3 Cup Tahini Paste
Juice from 1 1/2 Lemons
Zest from half of lemon, or more to taste
1 Tablespoon of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Pinch of Cayenne
Salt to taste
Use the reserved chickpea liquid to thin to desired texture

Just keep processing until it's wonderfully smooth.

Top with some more olive oil and any spices you like.

A few notes:
I add even more lemon sometimes because I love lemon.
This recipe is light on garlic since I love eating hummus with roasted garlic, feel free to add another clove or two.
Change it up by adding roasted red peppers, jalapenos, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment