Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Strawberry Shortcake



With strawberry season in full force, I was craving shortcake.  I use homemade biscuits for my shortcake.  That's the problem though, I don't really use a recipe for my biscuits.  If you have a favorite recipe, it is fairly easy to change to gluten and dairy free.  I replace the flour with King Arthur gluten free flour mix, add in baking powder, salt, xanthan gum, the smallest bit of sugar, some earth balance or shortening, and unsweetened almond milk.  I don't roll out my biscuits as I'm usually only making a few.  Instead I grab a bit of dough and pat it into the desired shape.  Bake at 425 until just golden.


In the meantime, get the rest of your shortcake ingredients ready.  Chop up some strawberries and add a teaspoon or so of sugar.  Mix together and place in the fridge.  

Instead of whipped cream, I used whipped coconut cream made according to the instructions here


Stack everything together in your desired order and you're done.

No comments:

Post a Comment