Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Fresh Tomatillo Salsa

After picking up some tomatillos and banana peppers at my local farmers market, I decided it was salsa time.  Since it's hot out, I decided on a fresh version. 


--Ingredients--

5 tomatillos, husks removed, cleaned, cut in quarters
3 banana peppers, chopped, remove seeds for less heat
1/3 - 1/2 sweet onion, depending on size, diced
Garlic, smashed, to taste. I used ~half a bulb
One bunch of Cilantro
Lime Juice to taste
1/8 teaspoon (or more) Cumin
Salt, Sugar, Red Pepper Flakes to taste


--Instructions--

Blend (I use a stick blender but the food processor works great too) the tomatillos, peppers, onion, and garlic.  I add one at a time so it slowly incorporates.  Blend in the cilantro last.  Add the cumin, lime juice and salt to taste, along with red pepper flakes if it needs a bit more heat.  Add a pinch of sugar if desired.

This is also great with jalapenos instead of banana peppers and with everything roasted ahead of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment