Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Chocolate Nut Pie - Gluten and Dairy Free

As a native Kentuckian, a certain type of pie holds a special place in both my heart and stomach.  Upon moving north, I've introduced several folks to the pie--even winning a pie contest at a previous employer!  The thing is, I can no longer eat my own pie...  I've changed that though.  Recently my local grocery began carrying the new Pillsbury line of gluten free products.  I was thrilled to notice that the pie dough is also dairy free.  This was the kick I needed to adapt this pie.


For two pies:

Preheat your oven to 350.

You'll need:

One stick of melted Earth Balance
One cup light corn syrup
1/2 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup sugar
4 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 tablespoons gluten-free flour mix
1 cup (or more) pecans or walnuts
BOURBON


---
Instructions:

Break your nuts (I used walnuts this time) into smaller pieces and place in a bowl/cup.  Pour some Bourbon, I use Woodford Reserve, over the nuts--you don't need as much as you think.  Mix with a spoon every so often as the nuts soak in the Bourbon.  You can let this sit for however long you'd like-it just depends on how deep of a bourbon flavor you want infused into the nuts.

Preheat the oven to 350.

Split the pie dough in half between two pie pans.  I kneaded for a bit and then patted and pressed with my hands into place. This is mostly because I don't have a ton of counter space for rolling things out.

Mix all the non-dough ingredients together--dump in the nuts (bourbon and all) and split evenly between the two crusts.  Use some foil to cover the crusts' edges.  Bake for 45 minutes, removing the foil ~30 minutes in.  

 

Wonderful molten hot...

 

Or cold the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment