Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Beet Burgers - vegan and gluten free

After receiving some lovely beets in my green bean delivery bin, I wanted to make some burgers.  No online recipes seemed quite right for the taste I was wanting so I created my own thrown-together recipe.

You'll need:
3 beets
1 can cannellini beans
1/2 cup cooked brown rice
1/2 bell pepper (I used orange)
1/2 onion (I used Vidalia)
3-4 cloves of garlic
1 chile en adobo
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
1 tablespoon sorghum
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon tamari or gluten free soy sauce
Gluten free oats
big handful of flat-leaf parsley
salt and pepper to taste


First, peel and chop up your beets.  Throw into the food processor and chop up quite a bit.  I use a small processor so I do the process and dump in a big bowl method.  Next drain and rinse your beans and process until fairly smooth.  Process all the ingredients except the oats and parsley. 

Once the processed ingredients are in the bowl, mix well and stir in enough oats that it starts to resemble the texture of ground meat.  At this point mix in the parsley (chopped fine).  It will look like this:


Form into patties and bake in the oven at 425 until set.  I had great luck, texture wise, via baking, putting in the freezer for a bit, and then toasting or broiling for a nice crunch.

Serve however you like you like any other burger.

No comments:

Post a Comment